Prior to Hurricane Season:
- Have an expert safely trim any trees next to power lines.
- Prune trees during the tree species dormant season or during early spring.
- Make sure to correctly dispose of all tree cuttings since branches and stumps left out in the open can become projectiles during a storm. Bulk waste pick up takes place
After the Storm:
- Survey the area for downed power lines. Call Florida Power & Light at 1-800-4-OUTAGE (1-800-468-8243) as soon as possible and keep yourself and others at a safe distance away from any broken power lines.
- Survey your property and remove trees or branches that are blocking access to your home.
- Cut any leaning or split trees that have a high probability of falling and causing additional damage to lives or property.
- Remove trees that are blocking access to utility poles or boxes. Remember that the wires may be live, so do not attempt to remove trees leaning on power lines.