Feeling restless or bored at home? It is for your safety amid growing coronavirus concerns. Lucky for residents, the Surfside Parks and Recreation Department has compiled a number of activities for kids, adults and seniors to fill their time. Check out the list below.
As a reminder, the Town of Surfside has issued a “Safer at Home” Emergency Order, in effect until further notice. View the Emergency Order here and learn what this means to you.
Virtual Online Activities
- Baptist Health of South Florida- offering Virtual Wellness Classes! Week of March 30 - April 4, 2020 via Zoom.
- Silver Sneakers has a video exercise class specifically fit for seniors.
- Loggerhead Marine Life Center in Juno Beach will have video lessons on sea turtles and other marine life topics. You can watch the lessons live at 2 pm Monday-Friday on their Facebook page. Scroll down to “Posts” to tune in.
- Frost Art Museum, The Wolfsonian-FIU, Jewish Museum of Florida, the Louvre, the Guggenheim and many others are engaging arts and culture lovers through virtual tours. Check their websites for more information.
- The Boca Raton Museum of Art is offering art education and experiences on its website.
- Tour of the Pérez Art Museum in Miami.
- Food Network's Top Vegan Recipes.
- The Metropolitan Opera in New York is broadcasting an opera every day at 7:30 pm for free on its website. Visit their website and select the current date to tune in.
- Every day, National Public Radio (NPR) posts a list of concerts available online for that date.
- Travel + Leisure magazine put together a list of 12 major art museums that offer virtual tours.
- Lincoln Center - Family art workshops, weekdays at 10:00 a.m.
- National Parks Tours: Available for Yellowstone, Kenai Fjord and others. Find a Park on NPS.gov, hover over Learn about the Park, and then over Photos & Multimedia, and click Virtual Tour.
Watch Broadway Plays from Home
From Newsies to Sweeney Todd, some of the best Broadway shows are available for viewing at home.
Managing Anxiety - Breathwork Session
Try an online Breathwork session with The CLEO Institute's Mia Kirn on Sundays at 9:00 pm via Zoom.
Meeting ID: 217-855-1217.
AARP Healthy Living Guide
How to weight the risks and make good decisions based on your age and health status. Read more.
A Little Something for the Kids!
Stuck at Home Podcast
Professional audio producers are asking kids to record mini podcast episodes using a smartphone, then send them in to create one big "Stuck At Home" podcast project.
Online Learning Activities
The following links contain a wide-range of ideas for kid-friendly activities, as well as learning resources:
Activities to Stay Active
With schools closed until further notice, the Surfside Parks and Recreation Department will be rolling out new activities to keep kids entertained and busy at home.
Take an Offline Break
- Build a fort with blankets and pillows
- Play dress-up
- Write a card or letter
- Make a backyard obstacle course
- Paint or draw
- Bake cookies
- Go for a walk, while keeping a safe social distance
- Do a crossword puzzle