The Town of Surfside is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of Finance Director. Under the general direction of the Town Manager, the Finance Director serves as the Town’s financial officer performing professional work in planning, organizing, supervising and administering all financial functions including budgeting, reporting, investing, debt management, banking, treasury management, fixed asset management, purchasing, internal support, contract management, and pension plan management, for the Town. The Finance Director is also responsible for development of the annual budget, management of the Town’s investments, preparation of reports, financial analysis, debt management and audit preparation.
The preferred candidate must be motivated, experienced, have outstanding communication skills and be a proactive individual who will not just focus on the day-to-day but who will look out in the future and assist the Town in planning for a better tomorrow.
The preferred candidate must possess at least a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or closely related field, be a Certified Public Accountant (C.P.A.) and have ten (10) years of progressively responsible supervisory experience in accounting, auditing, or finance; seven (7) years of which should be in an executive finance position in local government. Florida experience and experience in Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) transition is highly desirable and preferred.
The preferred candidate must possess knowledge of General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and fund accounting including grants, insurance, employee benefits, budgeting, financial controls, investments, and financing as well as a working knowledge of utility services.
The preferred candidate must be able to:
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive accounting and financial management system for the Town in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles applicable to local government units, the financial reporting requirements of the State Auditor Generals’ office and the Town’s Charter.
- Plan, coordinate and develop the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Maintain and update the financial management system of the Town.
- Submit required information to apply for the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting.
- Submit required information to apply for the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) Distinguish Budget Presentation Award.
- Submit required information to apply for the Public Pension Coordinating Council Award.
- Supervise the finance department.
- Monitor the Town’s financial system in order to ensure that all Town personnel are following the financial management system and the methods and practices incorporated therein.
- Report to the Town Manager any deviations from the Town’s financial system or from the methods and practices established thereby.
- Manage payroll, risk management, treasury and debt management programs.
Gather, organize, and maintain whatever financial information may be requested or required by the Town Manager or department heads.
- Provide and implement a method of coding allocations of revenues and expenditures.
- Plan, develop, and coordinate preparation of the annual operating budget.
- Identify and obtain funding for Town projects.
- Analyze accounts and provide to the Town Manager and department heads a monthly report showing comparison of the budgeted amounts in relation to actual revenues and expenses.
- Assist and act as liaison to external Auditor in performing audit functions.
- Supervise the completion of various reports required by numerous outside agencies, including surveys, progress reports and general statistical information.
- Work with the public.
- Attend Commission meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Open until filled. Salary range: $90,312 - $135,468 DOQ/E. Excellent benefits.
Submit resume, salary history and cover letter to: Town of Surfside, Human Resources Director 9293 Harding Avenue Surfside, FL 33154. You may e-mail your resume, salary history and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax to (305) 715-0002.
The Town of Surfside is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Veterans’ preference will be awarded under applicable Florida Law. All resumes are subject to Florida Public Records Laws.