Under the supervision of the Building Department Supervisor and the Building Official, performs skilled clerical and administrative work processing applications for building permits and other customer service-related duties.
This is an entry-level position in the Building Permit Clerk series. Qualified candidates with experience in construction, contracting, and/or building permitting are encouraged to apply. Compensation will be based on experience and qualifications.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs customer service including in person, on the phone, on various subjects including Code Compliance rules, regulations and procedures.
- Accepts applications for building permits. Reviews forms for accuracy; explains permit procedures, fees and determines missing documents.
- Explains and answers questions for developers, contractors and homeowners regarding application process for obtaining the permits, inspections process, and condition of Certificate of Occupancy.
- Receives plans, specifications and permit applications, instructs applicant and provides appropriate department manual.
- Distributes submitted plans to appropriate person for review, records comments and sends all negative comments to the design professionals for correction.
- Resubmits plans for second review to all required disciplines.
- Maintains contacts of applicant and/or submitter to coordinate receipt of required documents.
- Compiles and routes permit folders.
- Enters required information into computer.
- Prepares permit application and plans for Building Official’s signature.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job-related marginal duties as required.)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of permitting process.
- Knowledge of state laws pertaining to licensing and permitting.
- Knowledge of general office procedures.
- Knowledge of construction terminology and documents.
- Knowledge of telephone etiquette.
- Knowledge of the uses of a computer and equipment.
- Ability to work effectively with various people.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Ability to follow through on designated tasks.
- Ability to handle numerous tasks at once.
- Ability to attend meetings and conferences in building related topics.
- Skill in typing, filing and research techniques.
- Skill in operating office equipment.
- Skill at accessing, inputting and retrieving information from a computer.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High school graduation or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma. One (1) year experience in responsible permitting or office work. Experience in construction, construction administration or building department operations preferred. ICC Certified Permit Technician and active Notary Public - desired
(A comparable amount of training, education or experience can be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
Salary range Building Permit Technician I: $43,049.91 - $60,575.55 DOQ/E;
Salary range Building Permit Technician II: $45,884.30 - $64,563.82 DOQ/E; Minimum of three (3) years of experience as Building Permit Technician.
Salary range for Building Permit Technician III: $47,726.95 - $67,156.61 DOQ/E; ICC Certified Permit Technician required or ability to achieve same within six (6) months of hire.
Excellent benefits. Open until filled. Submit resume to: email@example.com.
The Town of Surfside is an Equal Opportunity / Drug Free Workplace Employer. Veterans’ preference will be awarded under applicable Florida Law. All resumes are subject to Florida Public Records Laws.