Under the general supervision of the Town Manager, oversees the planning and manages all aspects of project design, development, and implementation including preliminary technical research and feasibility analyses, funding and cost analyses, scheduling,
public involvement, project budgeting and work plan development, project performance and results. Responsible for guiding the work of contract professionals and operational staff. Works in conjunct with the Finance Department and Public Works Department
to create the Town’s Five-Year Capital Improvement Plan and seeks additional sources of funding for successful implementation.
The preferred candidate must be able to:
- Plan, organize, and control departmental activities and directs appropriate personnel in all functions relating to capital improvement projects.
- Seek, secure and allocate alternative funding to supplement the Town’s capital budget and provides associated grant and program administration.
- Manage the Town’s Five-year Capital Improvement Program and assist other Departments with each respective Five-Year Repair and Maintenance Plan.
- Prepare and administer the department’s budget.
- Lead and direct the work outside professionals engaged in the planning, design and construction of capital Projects. Prepares project specifications and bid documents.
- Perform construction project management for the Town’s major capital project from planning phase through design, permitting, procurement, construction and close-out.
- Prepare budgetary and cost estimates also referred to Opinion of Probable Costs for individual projects.
- Review and analyze reports, budget, plans, specifications, bids, contracts, and other correspondence submitted from within the department or by outside utility agencies and consultants to insure compliance with prescribed standards, rules and regulations.
- Inspect work progress and form conformance to contractual and established standards.
- Coordinate work and scheduling requirements with supported departments.
- Coordinate work with the public, related agencies and jurisdictions, as required.
- Meet with public officials and civil organizations to explain various department projects and programs.
- Serve as a focal point for the planning and construction management activities associated with capital projects.
- Meet with department staff to discuss the priorities, scheduling, assignments, problems, and special projects or emergencies to insure proper and prompt action is taken towards resolving departmental situations.
- Coordinate the different CIP construction project activities.
- Develop, implement, evaluate, and maintain departmental programs.
- Attend Staff meetings, Town Commission meetings, Development Review meetings, Planning and Zoning Board meetings and other related meetings as requested.
- May function in any emergency management role or capacity in the ICS to include, Logistics, Operations, and Planning.
- Work with Town Project Manager towards obtaining Grants and additional outside funding sources for Capital Improvement Projects.
- Is responsible for the Town’s list of pool engineering firms and seeks to have an active list on a periodic basis to ensure Town engineering needs’ coverage.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job-related marginal duties as required.)
The successful candidate must possess extensive knowledge of principles, methods, materials, equipment, and practices of planning, engineering, construction, and project management and a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college
or university with major course works in Public or Business Administration, Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or equivalent.
(A comparable amount of training, education or experience can be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
Salary range: $106,078.56 - $169,725.70 DOQ/E Excellent benefits.
Submit resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org or you may mail to Town of Surfside, Attn: Human Resources 9293 Harding Avenue Surfside, FL 33154.
The Town of Surfside is an Equal Opportunity / Drug Free Workplace Employer. Veterans’ preference will be awarded under applicable Florida Law. All resumes are subject to Florida Public Records Laws.